Whitecaps

Commentary and information about public safety and security, intelligence and counterintelligence, open government and secrecy, and other issues in northern Idaho and eastern Washington.

Name:
Location: Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, United States

Raised in Palouse, WA. Graduated from Washington State University. US Army (Counterintelligence). US Secret Service (Technical Security Division) in Fantasyland-on-the-Potomac and Los Angeles and other places in the world. Now living in north Idaho.


Thursday, January 04, 2007

The "Other" Feds - Ferreting Out Federal Fraud, Waste, and Abuse

My blog posts on December 1, 2006, December 13, 2006, and December 20, 2006, discussed the Federal Bureau of Investigation's (FBI) emphasis on public corruption cases.

Not every criminal misuse of federal funds by government employees or their agents starts out or ends up as a public corruption case investigated by the FBI. Ferreting out federal fraud, waste, and abuse often starts with each federal agency's Office of Inspector General (OIG).

The OIG's were created and empowered by the Inspector General Act of 1978. This Act describes the statutory duties and responsibilities of each Inspector General (IG).

A good layman's description of the scope of the Inspectors General duties is available in the short article What is the function of offices of inspector general? Pay particular attention to paragraph 3 which explains notes the IGs are authorized to investigate "federal fund recipients, such as contractors and grantees, to determine if they are complying with federal laws and regulations." Important Note: The IGs investigate allegations that local goverment officials and agencies have fraudulently obtained, criminally wasted, or otherwise criminally misused federal funds.

To get a better idea about just how complex an IG's investigation can get and how far it can go, read this New York Times abstract Criminal Inquiries Look at U.S. Oil-Gas Unit. The IG spearheading this investigation is Earl E. Devaney.

Thus, citizens who believe they have evidence that federal funds have been fraudulently obtained, grossly wasted, or otherwise criminally misused may want to first identify the federal agency that provided the funding and then submit a request for investigation to that agency's IG. Here's an example of a letter of complaint. Letters (or other types of contact) need to provide more than rumor or innuendo. They need to convince the IG that there is sufficient cause to use agency resources to investigate.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the advice, I could have used it a couple of years ago when I was extorted into silence by my local drug task force, which via email threatened to destroy me over some anti-drug war letters I had written to my local newspaper. The FBI field agent I talked to was not helpful. One thing's certain: He'll be the last FBI man I talk to. He convinced me FBI agents are little better than amateur investigators, that they don't have a clue about the law and that they're worthless to uphold Democracy. Now, they can certainly kill women and children. They can arrest drug dealers. But they cannot protect We the People. They're impotent bureaucrats; their Inspector General is likely to be little better.

I'll have no more contact with the feds, thanks.

7:57 AM, January 05, 2007  
Blogger Bill McCrory said...

brentandrews,

How were you extorted into silence with letters written to a local newspaper? Were the letters intended for publication in Letters to the Editor, or were they sent to a reporter or editor with an understanding of confidentiality? Would a reasonable person consider the content of the letters be direct, veiled, or conditional threats that violate federal or state law?

You said the email came from your "local drug task force." Was it a federal task force (FBI, DEA, etc.) being run locally in your area or was it run exclusively by local law enforcement officers?

If I received an email or any other form of communication from someone representing himself as being with any government agency (fed, state, or local), and I interpreted the email as threatening, my first call would be to my attorney to get advice how to proceed with a complaint.

Having said all that, I can't and won't argue that you should forgive and forget. When investigators and cops demonstrate their unworthiness to have the public's trust and confidence, they deserve whatever adverse consequences attend.

8:23 AM, January 05, 2007  
Blogger Jack said...

My daughter has been sold by adoption agency with help from employee of CYFD. They used help of other state employees to falsified papers . I have VERY solid evidence, and It is not just a fluke. It happens all the time. The truth is so horrible, nobody wants to believe it. I went to FBI twice . They told me it was not enough money to start investigation. Second time they ignored me. My daughter has been kept away from me, then transported across state -lines. Then placed in front of crooked judge in another state despite of jurisdiction limitations. Same year I have been granted full custody to my son in NM and crooked judge in GA terminated my parental rights to my daughter...Jack
http://www.my-sara.com

5:25 AM, March 06, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home